Saffron, coconut and yogurt syrup cakes


I love cakes.

All cakes, in fact.

I grew up surrounded by cakes. My Mum makes her most beautiful cake that we cannot live without. She leaves a plate at the dining table... as we walk past we cut our self a slice each (or two). The only cake that my Dad doesn't share and apparently the first thing she make for him.


Although this is not that cake, I can surely agree that it is very close.

"Very soft and sponge-y" my Mum says after tasting it "It's good". I love it people enjoy what I make, it is the best feeling, isn't it?


The second batch of these saffron, coconut yogurt syrup cakes just came out of the oven as I write this post. The chocolate chip brioche and baked doughnuts I've been willing to try also.

It's Sunday today... my only time that I can bake and photograph.


We ate a classic pesto pasta and saffron, coconut and yogurt syrup cakes to finish. Watermelon slices for an afternoon snack.

I flipped through these magazines shortly after. Beautifully composed photos... magical is a way to describe it.


Now to end this post I just wanted to remind you that there will be a special birthday soon. La Gallette is turning 1! I'm preparing a birthday post to celebrate next week. Can't wait!

Stay tuned!



Saffron and yogurt syrup cakes

Serves: 12
Ingredients

For the cake:
  • 255g plain flour
  • 100g brown sugar
  • 125g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
  • 2 tsp cardamom powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup rice brain oil (or any neutral tasting oil)
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp saffron, ground
For the syrup:
  • 4 tbsp honey
  • 4 tbsp brown sugar, extra
  • 4 tbsp water
  • 1 cinnamon stick
Cooking Directions
  1. Pre heat the oven to 180C.
  2. Grease a mini bundt pan.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and cardamom. Whisk.
  4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, cater sugar, yogurt, coconut milk, rice bran oil and saffron.
  5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk well.
  6. Pipe the mixture into the molds.
  7. Bake for 15-20 minutes of until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
To make the syrup:
  1. Place the water, honey, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small saucepan oven medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
  2. Serve with a drizzle of syrup.

2 comments:

  1. that looks really good... i'm glad i found your blog (via foodgawker) i am going to add you to my google reader :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. cutekittypunk- thank you! I'm so glad you like the blog! :)

    ReplyDelete