Even a bit of fruit, cake and cream can make me smile.
I woke up to hot day today (39C) eating breakfast outside on the porch, fried eggs and a glass of OJ. We got out to the farmers markets an walked past the beautiful tiny gala apples, fresh as can be.
We took them home and I wanted to use them as soon as possible.
I decided to make something fast and easy and also something which doesn't require baking since it was too hot anyways.
I whipped some cream, cut some apples and began to assemble the dessert.
A perfect way to end a meal, simple yet delicious.
We devoured it.
Lovely whipped cream flavoured with vanilla and lime. I layered it with ladyfingers (store-bought this time) and thinly sliced apples, you could substitute it with peaches or any other fresh fruit.
Apple, lime and ladyfinger trifle
Yield: 4 serves
- 2 apples
- 1 1/2 cup cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 lime, zested
- 10-12 ladyfingers or sponge fingers (cut into 1/3)
- 1/4 whole pistachios
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds, toasted
- in a large bowl, whip the cream until it begins to thicken.
- Add coconut and vanilla extract and continue whipping until soft peaks form.
- Whip in the sour cream until all combined.
- Fold in the lime zest.
- To assemble: divide 2 tbsp of the cream amongst 4 glassed.
- Follow by 2 pieces of sponge fingers then a few sliced of thinly sliced apples.
- Repeat with the cream, sponge finger and apples.
- Top with almonds and pistachios.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.