Christmas baking and an apple raspberry crumb cake


There is an apple strawberry crumb cake on my lap as I write this post, tempting me to take a bite.
I stare at the computer screen... not knowing what to write but all I know is that there is 16 days until Christmas.

Wow.

That fast, just in a blink of an eye the year is almost finished. Just like that.


So in writing this post... I thought I would dedicate it to the 321 days since I started my blog. It has been a natural process I guess, I learnt more about story telling (food loves words), the photography and how one single picture can tell a story.

The blogging industry has dragged me in and I feel like I belong here, it quite more than a hobby.


I am now in love with photography, I'm not much of a collector but I believe I have over 150 pieces ranging from cutlery, bowls, spoons, fabrics and surfaces.

I collect them from anywhere, all over the place. The prop closet is slowly filling up...


I'm also getting into the Christmas spirit! Unfortunately... there is no Christmas tree in our house but we do like to get presents and cook some festive Christmas food.

We already made some gingerbread houses with icing and all. We will also make some little fruit cakes, ginger and lemon tarts and eggnog.

I don't know what's with me and eggnog... we're quite a match.



I made this apple raspberry crumb cake for a sudden craving I had. I baked this in the morning, (I love morning baking) and we all devoured it for morning tea.

It's amazingly moist and a bit sticky with lots of apples and crumbs over the top.

Pure perfection.

I hope you have a very happy Sunday, and prepare for a huge Christmas post!



Apple raspberry crumb cake

80g plain flour
3 1/2 tbsp rolled oats
1/2 tsp salt
45g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed

240g plain flour
100g brown sugar
100g caster sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
125ml sunflower oil
125ml full coconut milk, well shaken
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cardamom powder
3 eggs

2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
8 raspberries, fresh or frozen
juice of 1/2 a lemon

Place the first 3 ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Rub in the butter and toss until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Refrigerate until needed.

Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line a 20cm pan.

Toss the apples, raspberries and lemon juice in a bowl. Set aside.

Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cardamom in a large bowl.
In another bowl, whisk the eggs, brown and caster sugar, vanilla extract, sunflower oil and coconut milk until all combined.

Whisk the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.

Pour 1/2 of the batter into the bottom of the cake tin, add the apple+ raspberry mixture, top with 1/2 the crumble. Add the rest of the cake batter and top with the leftover crumble.

Bake for 50 minutes or until golden and springs back to the touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment