Cinnamon rice pudding with roasted apricots and harvesting


My love for rice pudding or 'ruz bil haleeb' is like no other. When I was a child I remember my mother standing in the kitchen stirring a pot of rice pudding with cinnamon, cardamom and saffron.

We would come over and she would give us a small spoonful, blowing it before she gave it to us "But it's not done yet..." she says.


She passed on the recipe to me, and soon, I learned how to make it myself.

For us, it's comfort food...when someones suffering from a cold or just lazy Sundays we get into the kitchen and make it together, chatting about random things along the way.


I always like to put a twist on things or change them slightly, if your a daily reader, you might know!

This time I roasted some fresh apricots with sugar, vanilla and butter. Perfectly sweet and tender. The rice pudding was traditional but I folded some buttermilk after cooking to add a little moisture and flavour.

My vegetable garden is currently being harvested, mostly the zucchini's but some cos lettuce too...can't wait to see what I can do with those tomatoes when they are done... maybe a tomato tart?


I packed some rice pudding and the roasted apricots for a little picnic at the park. There were also some salad and tangy lemonade.


Cinnamon rice pudding with roasted apricots
Serves 4-6

1 cup abrorio rice
3 cups whole milk
1 cup buttermilk
80g caster sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1 vanilla been, seeds scraped

5 apricots, stoned and quartered
1/4 sup sugar
2 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
30g butter
crushed pistachios, to decorate

Combine the milk, caster sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. Bring to a simmer. Add the rice and stir, reduce heat to low and cover slightly, stirring ever once in a while making sure that the bottom does not burn.

Cook for about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the buttermilk. Spoon the pudding into bowls or glasses.

To make the roasted apricots, place the sugar, butter, vanilla and water in a frying pan over medium heat until all combined. Add the apricots and cook for about 5 minutes or until tender.

Place the apricots over the rice pudding, sprinkle with some crushed pistachios

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm this post was lovely. I adore rice pudding. My mum used to make it with jam. I found a great Jamie Oliver recipe with crushed meringue and strawberries in a big old pile of rice pudding. Delicious. Lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bananamondaes- I think I saw that recipe as well, Jamie Oliver has the best of recipes! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just like the rice pudding from my childhood, no egg yolks. And a lot of cinnamon. I should try it with saffron and cardamom, what a great combination! The apricots are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paula- Yes, I like it better without the egg yolks, the traditional way. You should definately try it with saffron and cardamom! Thank you for your support.

    ReplyDelete