Lemon Melting Moments

As I mentioned in the previous post that my cousins will be staying at our house for a few days. These few months, they've been obsessed with anything cookie-ish. I love homemade cookies, I think that nothing gets better than that.
They particularly like the melting moments biscuits you find at the bakery section at the supermarkets. It's there little secret, so when I went to get the groceries with my mum and couldn't help it but grab a box and challenged her to blind taste them.
I placed the store-brought version on one plate and my homemade ones on the other. They took a few bites from each. I guess you know the rest. They really know how to make me proud.
The weather in Australia at the moment is quite funny... It's mid-winter, it's cold but all of  sudden it's 27C(80F) with mini tornadoes, strong winds, thunderstorms and rain all in the same day. I know right, you tell me? Though, I can't beliveve that my lime tree is blossoming, I can't wait for delicious, fragrant limes

The two melt-in-you-mouth delicious cookies flavoured with lemon oil and sandwiched between a dollop of swiss buttercream. There baked until a light golden brown colour. They are butter and crumbly and I think they are best served on the day of baking.


Lemon Melting Moments
Makes 10 sandwiches

INGREDIENTS:
185g butter, softened but cold
70g icing sugar, sifted
60g custard powder
180g plain flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
zest of 1 lemon

Preheat the oven to 180C. Line 2 baking sheets wit baking paper.
Place the butter in the bowl of a mixer and beat for 2 minutes until fluffy. Add the icing sugar and custard powder and lemon zest and beat until combined. Add the flour and fold until all evenly combined.
Roll into 2 tsp sized bowls and place onto the tray, dip a fork into flour and press onto the dough. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a light gold colour.
Stand the cookies on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Sandwich between Swiss buttercream (recipe below).

Swiss Buttercream

INGREDIENTS:
75g egg whites
225g butter, softened
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
150g caster sugar
1 tsp lemon extract/oil (or lemon zest if extract is unavailable)

Whisk together the sugar and egg whites over a double boiler until the sugar has dissolved completely and the mixture is hot to the touch. It will look like light marshmallow.
Remove the bowl from the double boiler and beat with a mixer until stiff peaks form and the bowl feels cool. Add the butter, 1 tbsp at a time. It might looks like it has curdled but continue whipping until it comes together. Mix in the lemon extract or zest. Place tablespoons full between two cookies.

2 comments:

  1. Eeeep I can't wait to try these. I saw julia made these in Masterchef Australia and have wanted to try this since. Now that I've finally found myself a recipe I am definitely going to try this.

    Amazing post and your photography is great :)
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I hope you like them. Thank you for you wonderful words!

      Delete