Rhubarb & Strawberry Crumble

I can't help myself when I walk past a abundance of strawberries...it's just how I am. I love strawberries. Walking in the supermarket today was full of unexpected surprises. I went into the fresh food section and was stunned to find strawberries...yes...in winter. Without thought, I piled them in the trolley and went to the checkout, I was so excited.
I felt the need for comfort food, something sweet and buttery. I had a craving for a simple rhubarb and strawberry crumble.

This crumble is as simple as can be and any fruit could simply be substituted. That's what I really love about crumbles, they're so versatile yet so easy. One crumble recipe can be ten crumble recipes.

Rhubarb & Strawberry Crumble (Adapted from Tartelette)
Makes 6

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cup plain flour
1 tsp, cardamom
115g butter, diced, chilled
80g honey

300g rhubarb, chopped
320g strawberries, chopped
40g honey
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. sugar
zest and juice of 1/2 lemon

Mix the flour and cardamom in a bowl. Add the butter and honey. Mix with your fingertips until a dough forms. Wrap and chill in the freezer until the filling is prepared.

Pre-heat the oven to 180C
Place the rhubarb, strawberries, honey, sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest and juice in a large bowl and stir to combine evenly. Divide the fruit mixture between the ramekins. Grate the crumble dough over the ramekins until all the fruit is covered. Place the ramekins in a baking tray, in case the juices stew out from the ramekins and bake for 30-40 minutes of until the crumble is golden.

Serve warm with a scoop of ice-cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment